IEB grants Institut Estudis Baleàrics
Grants for mobility and promotion abroad
Call for grants to support the external projection of the visual arts of the Balearic Islands for the year 2023
(This text is a summary of the grant rules published in the Official Bulletin of the Balearic Islands no. 32, March 14, 2023. See the full official text in Spanish here.)
Budget: € 200,000
Foreign applicants have to send the application and required documentation by certified post to Institut d'Estudis Baleàrics, c/de l'Almudaina 4, 07001 Palma, Spain.
Promote the national and international projection of the visual arts of the Balearic Islands through professional activities corresponding to the period between December 1, 2022 and November 30, 2023.
a) Mobility: support for the mobility of artists and cultural agents in the field of visual arts in the Balearic Islands.
b) Promotion abroad: support for activities held abroad in the field of the visual arts of the Balearic Islands.
Projects that are subsidized
Physical or telematic activities, in the field of visual arts:
- Artistic exhibitions and activities outside the island of residence.
- Participation in fairs and festivals outside the island of residence.
- Attendance and participation in training sessions outside the island of residence.
- Artist, research or curatorial residencies outside the island of residence.
- The venues for the activities must be spaces for the dissemination of contemporary art, with a stable annual program of exhibitions and cultural activities in the field of visual arts.
- Artists must have at least one individual exhibition in their professional career or have participated in at least three group exhibitions of visual arts in the Balearic Islands.
- Cultural agents must have organized or promoted at least three cultural projects.
a) Mobility: For mobility of artists and cultural agents in the field of visual arts of the Balearic Islands (point 1.2.a of the bases of the call), the beneficiaries are companies, creators and cultural agents that produce and organize exhibition projects and artistic activities related to creators from the Balearic Islands. The beneficiaries must be related to the visual arts sector, or they must have as a corporate purpose the development of professional activities in the sector of visual arts.
b) International promotion: For support of activities held abroad in the field of visual arts (point 1.2.b of the bases of the call), companies and organizations in the field of visual arts that produce and organize exhibition projects and artistic activities related to creators from the Balearic Islands. These companies and organizations can have tax residence inside or outside the Balearic Islands. The beneficiaries must be natural persons registered in the self-employed regime in sections related to the visual arts or legal persons whose corporate purpose is the development of professional activities in the visual arts sector.
Exclusively included, up to the maximum amounts foreseen, the expenses derived from:
· Registration or accreditation fees at fairs, festivals, professional conferences and / or visual arts residencies
Maximum amounts considering destinations
b) Promotion abroad
You can include, up to the maximum amounts foreseen, the expenses derived from:
· Travel expenses of artists and cultural agents from the Balearic Islands. Only tourist class tickets are accepted.
· Accommodation costs up to a maximum of € 150 per person per night
· The production of art work linked to the activity. A maximum of 50% of the production cost is subsidized, up to a maximum of € 7,000 (seven thousand euros). Only the production costs of the work of Balearic artists are subsidized.
· Framing of work, construction of bases, furniture and preparation of the stand at a fair, up to a maximum of € 1000 (thousand euros)
· Nail-to-nail policy
· Assembly and disassembly
· The rental of the exhibition space
· Accreditation fees and / or stand rental at fairs
· The fees and hiring of professional services
· The edition and translation of graphic and promotional material. In case of publishing a catalog, the host space must assume a minimum of 50% of the cost of the publication.
· Medical insurance in the case of artist, research or curator residencies
Eligible expenses are awarded based on the maximum amounts and the assessment criteria established in the bases of the call.
The maximum annual amount that can be granted per beneficiary is € 25,000 (twenty-five thousand euros).
The maximum amounts per project that can be granted to mobility are established according to the geographical destination (Balearic Islands, mainland Spain, the Canary Islands and Europe, outside Europe) and the number of participants (up to 3 artists, more than 3 artists).
The maximum amount per project that can be awarded to external promotion activities (point 14.3.) Is € 25,000 (twenty-two five thousand euros).
Maximum number of requests:
In Promotion abroad, only one application can be submitted per project.
Application submission deadline
Until September 15, 2023.
Documentation for applying for subsidy (see Point 8 of the call bases)
The grant application must be submitted (Annex 2) completed, dated and signed, along with all the administrative and technical documentation required: Annex 3, copy of the applicant's DNI, company documentation (statutes, foundation deed, NIF), project report with all the supporting documentation for the evaluation criteria, detailed budget, project financing plan, communication and dissemination plan
Documentation for justifying the subsidy (see Point 18 of the bases of the call)
The supporting account must be presented (annex 7), together with the activity performance report and, where appropriate, graphic records that document it; the financial report, with the invoices and the corresponding payment vouchers; and the graphic and promotional materials edited or published on the occasion of the activity.
The annexes can be downloaded in the Attached Documents column.
Submission of applications and justifications
Applications or justifications must be submitted through the electronic portal of the Autonomous Community of the Balearic Islands. The submission of documentation electronically is mandatory for all legal persons with tax residence in Spain (companies, cooperatives, civil societies, associations and foundations) and recommended for natural persons (individuals, persons registered in the special regime for self-employed workers and communities of assets).
Individuals and legal persons whose tax residence is outside of Spain can also present the documentation in person at the IEB Registry (Ca'n Oleo - calle de la Almudaina, 4, 07001 Palma), at any official registry or by administrative mail.